Saturday, May 10, 2008

Yet another programming blog is born

Let's see, I guess this is that part of the interview where the interviewer asks me to tell him/her about myself.  Always an awkward question...

I've been a software developer since the early 90's.  Prior to that I was firmly ensconced in the hardware side of the world: wire wrap, PLDs, FPGAs, ASICs, schematics and all that.  At some point I got the idea that it would be more fun to develop the software used to develop the hardware so I made the switch.  

My paid gig is in EDA (Electronic Design Automation) developing software used to design chips - DSP algorithms in FPGAs, for example.

What do I want to explore in this blog?  Lots of stuff.  My interests are many and varied, maybe even eclectic.  Most recently I've been exploring functional programming.  I'm involved in a local programming group here in Portland dedicated to discussion of functional programming: PDXfunc.  Whereas all the smart kidz seem to be learning Haskell, I decided a while back to go against the tide and learn OCaml.  I'm  a fan of the Pragmatic Programmers and their admonition to learn a new programming language every year - though I my case I'm learning a new one every 3 or 4 years.  So make that "Learn a New Programming Language Every 3 or 4 years" - actually, I think that's pretty reasonable.

I'm also exploring some ideas related to concurrency & parallelism.   How about using FPGAs to accelerate certain types of algorithms?  

My favorite programming language to date?  That would be Ruby.  I was an early adopter.  Picked it up in 2001.  Prior to that my favorite language was Perl, but since I started using Ruby I haven't even wanted to look at any Perl code for many years now. 

Where do I live?  Near Beaverton, Oregon.

What are some of my other hobbies, you ask?  Gardening - the Fava beans are coming along nicely, thanks.  Coral Reef aquaria - I've got a little 12 gallon nano-reef with live corals in my living room.

What operating systems do I use?  Linux and OS X.

...Oh, and I prefer cats.  No dogs here.

No comments: